Monday 18 November 2013

Work hard, play hard

As athletes, we are a bit like a children. Happy when the sun shines and you can go play outside. Sulky on a rainy day.
Summer days, time to play outside
For the last few weeks, I have been more like a toddler in its Terrible Two period. No to everything I should do but don't want to. What is lacking is me lying on the floor of the supermarket screaming for candy even though it's only Thursday. The only reason that hasn't happened is the timely realisation that I am the proud owner of a bank card. So, no, I don't want to train. No, I don't want to eat vegetables. No, I don't want to go to bed early - or get up early. No, I don't want to do my prehab exercises. No, I especially don't want to go swimming at 7 AM. No, I don't want to follow my schedule - or any schedule at all. No, I don't want to...

Children need vacation. My summer break is in October and November. Last race done and dusted means no homework and no curfew, no prehab exercises and no strict training schedule, at least for a few weeks. This is the (my) assigned period for being recalcitrant. A dedicated time period to be undedicated, if such can exist.

'Bike? What bike'

It's not as if I don't go out and exercise. I love training so I wouldn't be a very smart Terrible Two toddler if I would be denying myself that. Key is to pick the cherries on the cake. I will go out for a morning run but won't go to the swimming pool. Go to the spinning class but really only to have fun with my training buddies. Won't go if it's raining, I'm tired or my favourite TV show is on...

But slowly, slowly the time has come to get off the floor of the supermarket and go home, pack my training bag and go to the gym. Not that I will leave that two year old in me behind. She can peacefully co-exist with the slightly more mature side of me, eager to learn and if necessary, listen to a teacher. I'm sure she will be poking around for some  new adventures and places to play next season. Good thing there is not much rain in South Africa's summer.


(Photo courtesy Eric Wictor and Cape Epic photographers)

No comments:

Post a Comment